- Market PMI solid, but tariff impacts emerging. Manufacturing data released yesterday showed solid growth, but evidence of tariff impacts has started to emerge. The U.S. purchasing managers’ index (PMI) data released yesterday was 55.5, beating consensus expectations of 55.1. However, average prices charged grew at the fastest pace on record amid increases in input costs, as survey respondents noted higher raw material and fuel costs. Suppliers’ delivery times were also the longest on record amid low inventory and capacity constraints, showing that supply chain constraints are causing significant disruption. While manufacturing growth has been strong this year, the surge in prices and supply chain disruptions could curb further economic activity.
- Juncker and Trump meeting on trade. President Donald Trump and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker are scheduled to discuss trade relations, the latest news in a global trade rift that has roiled international markets and threatened economic growth. Ahead of the meeting, President Trump said that the U.S. and European Union should drop all tariffs, barriers and subsidies. The European Commission has threatened $20 billion in retaliatory tariffs if the U.S. imposes car levies. While we estimate that currently imposed tariffs would cause only a 0.1% to 0.2% drag on U.S. gross domestic product annually, we are closely watching trade discussions and analyzing the impacts of any escalations or future proposals.
- New Home Sales (Jun)
- France: PPI (Jun)
- Eurozone: M3 Money Supply (Jun)
- Japan: PPI Svcs YoY(Jun)
- South Korea: GDP (Q2)
- Wholesale Inventories (Jun)
- Weekly Jobless Claims (Jul 21)
- Durable Goods Orders (Jun)
- Germany: Consumer Confidence (Jul)
- Japan: CPI (Jul)
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual security. To determine which investment(s) may be appropriate for you, consult your financial advisor prior to investing. The economic forecasts set forth in this material may not develop as predicted.
All indexes are unmanaged and cannot be invested into directly. Unmanaged index returns do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment.
Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. No investment strategy or risk management technique can guarantee return or eliminate risk in all market environments.
All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results.
This research material has been prepared by LPL Financial LLC.
To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor, please note that LPL Financial LLC is not an affiliate of and makes no representation with respect to such entity.
The investment products sold through LPL Financial are not insured deposits and are not FDIC/NCUA insured. These products are not Bank/Credit Union obligations and are not endorsed, recommended or guaranteed by any Bank/Credit Union or any government agency. The value of the investment may fluctuate, the return on the investment is not guaranteed, and loss of principal is possible.
Index data obtained via FactSet
For Public Use – Tracking # 1- 753357 (Exp. 7/19)