Thursday, February 4, 2021
Have we climbed the peak in negative yielding debt? In today’s edition of “Debt Week”, we take a look at the curious case of negative yielding debt, the total value of which hit more than $18 trillion in 2020. We explore what this means for US investors and whether we see this trend continuing later today on the LPL Research blog.
US stocks little changed following 3-day rally
- European markets are mixed with the United Kingdom lagging for the second straight day.
- Asian stocks were lower overnight with China and Korea underperforming.
Global manufacturing keeps rolling right along
- JPMorgan’s Global Manufacturing Purchasing Manager’s Index (PMI) report for January came in at a solid 53.5.
- January’s reading marked the indicator’s seventh straight month in expansionary territory (>50).
- The latest reading is above 2018 and 2019 pre-pandemic levels.
- While the global services sector has lost some momentum in Europe and Japan recently, the global services PMI reading of 51.6, including seven straight months over 50, reflects gradual, steady improvement.
Jobless claims decline more than forecast
- 779,000 Americans filed for unemployment insurance last week according to the Department of Labor, below Bloomberg consensus forecasts calling for 830,000 and marking the third straight weekly decline.
- Continuing claims also beat estimates, falling to 4.59 million versus consensus estimates of 4.7 million, signaling that job cuts are beginning to slow as COVID-19 cases in the US have declined.
- Benchmark indexes were near flat Wednesday, but headline numbers hid stark differences in sector performance.
- Energy rallied more than 4%, while communication services jumped 2% on the back of a 7.2% gain for heavily-weighted Alphabet. However, five sectors finished lower by more than 0.3%.
- In technical news this morning, the dollar has climbed to a two-month high, and oil is above $56/bbl. and on track for its fourth straight day of gains.
- The United States reported 116,000 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday, down 23% week over week and marking the fifth straight daily decline (source: COVID Tracking Project).
- Those currently hospitalized by COVID-19 in the US have shrunk for 23 consecutive days.
- In the US, more Americans have now received at least one dose than have tested positive for the virus since the pandemic began (source: Bloomberg).
Street View Video Delivers A Message In A Bottle
LPL Research Chief Investment Officer Burt White contends there is one metric above all others that may tell us how well the economy is doing in the new Street View “Message In A Bottle”.
This material is for general information only and is not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. There is no assurance that the views or strategies discussed are suitable for all investors or will yield positive outcomes. Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. Any economic forecasts set forth may not develop as predicted and are subject to change.
References to markets, asset classes, and sectors are generally regarding the corresponding market index. Indexes are unmanaged statistical composites and cannot be invested into directly. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment and do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results.
Any company names noted herein are for educational purposes only and not an indication of trading intent or a solicitation of their products or services. LPL Financial doesn’t provide research on individual equities.
All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, LPL Financial makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
All index and market data are from FactSet and MarketWatch.
This Research material was prepared by LPL Financial, LLC.
Securities and advisory services offered through LPL Financial (LPL), a registered investment advisor and broker-dealer (member FINRA/SIPC).
Insurance products are offered through LPL or its licensed affiliates. To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor that is not an LPL affiliate, please note LPL makes no representation with respect to such entity.
- Not Insured by FDIC/NCUA or Any Other Government Agency
- Not Bank/Credit Union Guaranteed
- Not Bank/Credit Union Deposits or Obligations
- May Lose Value
For Public Use – Tracking # 1-05107736