Friday, April 16, 2021
Three Things That Scare Us
LPL Research Chief Market Strategist Ryan Detrick outlines three economic and market phenomenon that may have the potential to put the scare into even the most ardent optimist.
U.S. stocks little changed following Thursday’s record highs
- European markets are modestly higher in midday trading with the German DAX
- Asian stocks were higher overnight with China outperforming on the news their economy grew 18.3% year over year in the first quarter.
The S&P 500 Index posted a 1.1% gain to close at another record high on Thursday. Real estate led all sectors with a 2% gain, boosted by a fall in interest rates that saw the 10-year Treasury yield hit its lowest level in over a month. The 10-year Treasury yield hasn’t closed below its 50-day moving average since August 21, 2020, but that metric sits just a few basis points below current levels at 1.50%.
The United States reported 74,000 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, slightly higher than the 7-day average of 71,000 (source: New York Times).
- Michigan continues to battle surging cases, accounting for more than 10% of new daily cases in the entire U.S.
- Vaccinations continue to keep pace despite the pause of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. The daily average of administered vaccines is hovering just north of 3 million.
- 80% of the population aged 65 or older have received at least one dose of the vaccine, while just shy of 50% of the adult population has received at least one dose (source: CDC).
The Earnings Boom Is Here
The outstanding fourth-quarter earnings season we had in 2020 is a tough act to follow, but 2021’s first quarter has the makings of another potentially great earnings season. Learn more in this week’s Weekly Market Commentary.
Earnings Season Is Here
On the LPL Market Signals podcast, Chief Market Strategist Ryan Detrick and Equity Strategist Jeff Buchbinder discuss why they think another very solid earnings season is on the horizon.
This material is for general information only and is not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. There is no assurance that the views or strategies discussed are suitable for all investors or will yield positive outcomes. Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. Any economic forecasts set forth may not develop as predicted and are subject to change.
References to markets, asset classes, and sectors are generally regarding the corresponding market index. Indexes are unmanaged statistical composites and cannot be invested into directly. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment and do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results.
Any company names noted herein are for educational purposes only and not an indication of trading intent or a solicitation of their products or services. LPL Financial doesn’t provide research on individual equities.
All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, LPL Financial makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
All index and market data are from FactSet and MarketWatch.
This Research material was prepared by LPL Financial, LLC.
Insurance products are offered through LPL or its licensed affiliates. To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor that is not an LPL affiliate, please note LPL makes no representation with respect to such entity.
- Not Insured by FDIC/NCUA or Any Other Government Agency
- Not Bank/Credit Union Guaranteed
- Not Bank/Credit Union Deposits or Obligations
- May Lose Value
For Public Use – Tracking # 1-05134449