Friday, May 14, 2021
What It’s Like To Go on CNBC
LPL Research Chief Market Strategist Ryan Detrick takes us on a behind-the-scenes look at what it is like to be featured on CNBC.
U.S. equities attempt to reverse course
- Market participants take advantage of oversold conditions in an attempt to recover from lows earlier this week.
- The Nasdaq Composite is approximately 1% higher as some investors continue to believe in growth over value.
- European markets follow their U.S. counterparts as the Euro Stoxx 50 is higher through midday trading.
- Asian markets appreciated with Japan’s Nikkei reversing course, finishing up over 2%.
- China has been a standout this week as this market gained more than 1.5% during its last session.
April retail sales flat after stimulus-fueled strength in March
- Retail sales missed the consensus expectation of a 1.0% gain in April after its large beat in March.
- Auto sales, which increased by almost 3%, were a positive.
- The retail sales miss should dampen concerns about the economy overheating.
Five charts we are watching
There are many moving pieces to today’s markets—seasonality, the Presidential cycle, copper and more. We take a closer look at different market segments later today on the today’s LPL Research blog, available at 12p.m. ET.
The S&P 500 bounced off the 50-day moving average yesterday, gaining 1.2% along the way. Industrials and financials were the best performing sectors as cyclical value continues to exhibit relative strength. On the Nasdaq Composite, watch the 100-day moving average (13,431) as previous support may act as resistance.
Amazing Earnings Season: LPL Research Reacts
LPL Research raises its year-end S&P 500 Index fair value target range again in the wake of a stunning Q1 2021 earnings season.
A Record Breaking Earnings Season
On the LPL Market Signals podcast, Chief Market Strategist Ryan Detrick and Equity Strategist Jeff Buchbinder discuss the incredible earnings season, debate whether we’ve hit a peak in earnings and economic growth, and economic policies.
This material is for general information only and is not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. There is no assurance that the views or strategies discussed are suitable for all investors or will yield positive outcomes. Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. Any economic forecasts set forth may not develop as predicted and are subject to change.
References to markets, asset classes, and sectors are generally regarding the corresponding market index. Indexes are unmanaged statistical composites and cannot be invested into directly. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment and do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results.
Any company names noted herein are for educational purposes only and not an indication of trading intent or a solicitation of their products or services. LPL Financial doesn’t provide research on individual equities.
All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, LPL Financial makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
All index and market data are from FactSet and MarketWatch.
This Research material was prepared by LPL Financial, LLC.
Securities and advisory services offered through LPL Financial (LPL), a registered investment advisor and broker-dealer (member FINRA/SIPC).
Insurance products are offered through LPL or its licensed affiliates. To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor that is not an LPL affiliate, please note LPL makes no representation with respect to such entity.
- Not Insured by FDIC/NCUA or Any Other Government Agency
- Not Bank/Credit Union Guaranteed
- Not Bank/Credit Union Deposits or Obligations
- May Lose Value
For Public Use – Tracking # 1-05144543