Friday, July 9, 2021
Is This the Start of a Correction?
- Despite the S&P 500 Index making a record high earlier this week, investors are clearly on edge with the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) briefly spiking more than 40% from last week’s levels.
- Poor breadth, high valuations, weak seasonality and a historically difficult to navigate Year 2 of the bull market are all reasons to believe near-term risks are elevated.
- However, despite potential risks, we explore three reasons why we are maintaining our overweight equities recommendation, later today on the LPL Research blog.
US equities attempt to rebound after yesterday’s market pullback
- The Dow and S&P 500 opened higher while the Nasdaq is little changed, with all major averages on track for losses this week.
- European markets are higher through midday trading with the Euro STOXX 50 up over 1% as U.K.’s GDP slowed in May.
- Asian markets finished mostly weaker, even though China’s June new bank loans and credit growth surprised to the upside.
Yields try to stabilize. Yields are bouncing today, but story of the day yesterday was the continued surprise weakness from the 10-year Treasury yield.
- After peaking at 1.75% in late March, the 10-year yield spent time beneath 1.25% yesterday.
- Incredibly, it was at 1.48% on July 1st, so the stunning drop has many investors worried if the bond market knows something the rest of us don’t.
- Peak growth, peak inflation, peak reflation trade, valuations, and worries over COVID-19 variants have all been cited as potential reasons for the move lower.
- Although this move lower has surprised us as well, we continue to expect higher growth and higher inflation expectations to eventually push yields higher by year-end and maintain a target of between 1.75% to 2.00% on the 10-year yield.
- Stocks saw broad based selling yesterday, with decliners outnumbering advancers by more than 5:1 on the New York Stock Exchange for only the fifth time this year.
- The S&P 500 has support at the 50-day moving average (4217), followed by 4164.
Three Things That Worry Us
We explore three things that worry us that could make the market more susceptible to a pullback as we enter the second half of 2021. Learn more in last week’s Weekly Market Commentary.
Tips For Young Investors
In this week’s LPL Market Signals podcast, LPL Director of Research, Marc Zabicki shares his journey and discusses ideas for navigating today’s markets for young investors.
This material is for general information only and is not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. There is no assurance that the views or strategies discussed are suitable for all investors or will yield positive outcomes. Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. Any economic forecasts set forth may not develop as predicted and are subject to change.
References to markets, asset classes, and sectors are generally regarding the corresponding market index. Indexes are unmanaged statistical composites and cannot be invested into directly. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment and do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results.
Any company names noted herein are for educational purposes only and not an indication of trading intent or a solicitation of their products or services. LPL Financial doesn’t provide research on individual equities.
All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, LPL Financial makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
All index and market data are from FactSet and MarketWatch.
This Research material was prepared by LPL Financial, LLC.
Securities and advisory services offered through LPL Financial (LPL), a registered investment advisor and broker-dealer (member FINRA/SIPC).
Insurance products are offered through LPL or its licensed affiliates. To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor that is not an LPL affiliate, please note LPL makes no representation with respect to such entity.
- Not Insured by FDIC/NCUA or Any Other Government Agency
- Not Bank/Credit Union Guaranteed
- Not Bank/Credit Union Deposits or Obligations
- May Lose Value
For Public Use – Tracking # 1-05165351