Friday, July 23, 2021
Buy the dip
Even after Monday’s big drop for stocks in the U.S., stocks have roared back and are now looking at a nice gain for the week. Here are some of the reasons for the bounce.
- The S&P 500 Index’s 50-day moving average once again held as support, much like it has all year on pullbacks.
- Corporate America is again reporting very solid earnings, as Q2 earnings now have a chance at being up 80% year-over-year.
- Buybacks are in full swing, as the media has been reporting lately. This is yet another potential support for stocks.
- Lastly, bipartisan support for the infrastructure bill appears to be moving forward.
US equities opened in the green, as markets are within reach of new record highs
- After a rocky start Monday, US markets have enjoyed three consecutive higher closes and could finish positive for the week.
- Natural gas prices hit a 31-month high as summer heat drove electricity demand.
- European equities are higher through midday trading as Eurozone business increased this month to a 21-year high.
- Asian markets finish mostly lower with Hong Kong (Hang Seng) reversing much of Thursday’s gains to finish almost 1.5% lower Friday.
LEI continues to forecast growth:
- The Conference Board released its Leading Economic Index (LEI) report for June on Thursday, showing the series rose 0.7% month over month.
- This represents a slight slowdown from the torrid pace of the previous three months, but remains elevated by historical standards and continues to signal strong future growth.
- We examine the data release, as well as its implications for future economic growth, in further detail on the LPL Research Blog.
- The S&P 500 Index is looking for its fourth gain in a row today, following Monday’s sell-off.
- While Tuesday and Wednesday saw strong breadth, yesterday’s dynamic looked similar to many over the past month with small caps falling and decliners outnumbering advancers by more than 3:1 on the NYSE.
- In the near-term, we are closely watching Treasury yields, which reversed sharply off support at 1.2%, to see if they can continue recent upward momentum. First key level to the upside is 1.4%.
LPL Research in the Media
LPL Financial Chief Market Strategist Ryan Detrick is scheduled to appear on Fox Business sometime between 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET today.
Midyear Outlook 2021: Picking Up Speed
LPL Research provides an overview of their forecasts on the economy, policy, stocks, and bonds for the rest of 2021 and beyond. Learn more in this week’s Weekly Market Commentary.
Mr. Powell Goes To Washington | LPL Market Signals
In this week’s LPL Market Signals podcast, LPL Research’s Chief Market Strategist, Ryan Detrick and Equity Strategist, Jeff Buchbinder discuss the start of earnings season, policy, and more.
Effective today, Friday, July 23, 2021, LPL Research is discontinuing publication of the Daily Market Update on lplresearch.com. This edition is our final release. Our daily blog release schedule remains unaltered at this time.
This material is for general information only and is not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. There is no assurance that the views or strategies discussed are suitable for all investors or will yield positive outcomes. Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. Any economic forecasts set forth may not develop as predicted and are subject to change.
References to markets, asset classes, and sectors are generally regarding the corresponding market index. Indexes are unmanaged statistical composites and cannot be invested into directly. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment and do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results.
Any company names noted herein are for educational purposes only and not an indication of trading intent or a solicitation of their products or services. LPL Financial doesn’t provide research on individual equities.
All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, LPL Financial makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
All index and market data are from FactSet and MarketWatch.
This Research material was prepared by LPL Financial, LLC.
Securities and advisory services offered through LPL Financial (LPL), a registered investment advisor and broker-dealer (member FINRA/SIPC).
Insurance products are offered through LPL or its licensed affiliates. To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor that is not an LPL affiliate, please note LPL makes no representation with respect to such entity.
- Not Insured by FDIC/NCUA or Any Other Government Agency
- Not Bank/Credit Union Guaranteed
- Not Bank/Credit Union Deposits or Obligations
- May Lose Value
For Public Use – Tracking # 1-05171538