- Fed Day. The Federal Reserve (Fed) wraps up its two-day monetary policy meeting this afternoon, with a post-meeting statement to be released at 2:00 p.m. ET. Remember, there will not be a post-meeting press conference or updated economic forecast (better known as “dot plots“). Although we expect no rate hike today (consistent with the general consensus), we do expect a rate hike at the next meeting in mid-June. Of interest today will be the Fed’s thoughts on inflation, as most inflation data has been ticking higher.
- Global manufacturing data. Eurozone April Manufacturing PMI came in at 56.2 versus expectations of 56.0–the lowest it has been since March 2017. A strong euro, flu season, and weather were all named as potential reasons for the weaker data. Turning to China, the Caixin Manufacturing PMI was 51.1 last month, better than expectations of 50.9. Highlights included uncertainty regarding exports due to trade concerns, while input prices rose for the first time since last September, thanks in part to a three-year high in crude oil.
- Still searching for income? Though it’s gotten a little easier over the past couple months, the interest rate environment remains difficult to navigate with rates still low relative to historical norms. But opportunities are there, and this afternoon’s post on the LPL Research blog, a complement to this week’s Bond Market Perspectives, can help you in your search for income.
- Markit Mfg. PMI (Apr)
- ISM Mfg. PMI (Apr)
- Nikkei Japan Svcs. PMI (Apr)
- Trade Balance (Mar)
- Markit Svcs. PMI (Apr)
- Durable Goods Orders (Mar)
- Eurozone: CPI & PPI (Mar)
- China: Caixin China Svcs. PMI (Apr)
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual security. To determine which investment(s) may be appropriate for you, consult your financial advisor prior to investing. The economic forecasts set forth in this material may not develop as predicted.
All indexes are unmanaged and cannot be invested into directly. Unmanaged index returns do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment.
Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. No investment strategy or risk management technique can guarantee return or eliminate risk in all market environments.
This research material has been prepared by LPL Financial LLC.
To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor, please note that LPL Financial LLC is not an affiliate of and makes no representation with respect to such entity.
The investment products sold through LPL Financial are not insured deposits and are not FDIC/NCUA insured. These products are not Bank/Credit Union obligations and are not endorsed, recommended or guaranteed by any Bank/Credit Union or any government agency. The value of the investment may fluctuate, the return on the investment is not guaranteed, and loss of principal is possible.
For Public Use – Tracking # 1-726308 (Exp. 5/19)