- Welcome to the third quarter. Historically the third quarter can be tricky for stocks, but especially so during a midterm year. In fact, going back to 1896 and the start of the Dow, this is the second worst quarter of the four-year presidential cycle. Could we be in for trouble this time around? We address this important question today on the LPL Research blog.
- Stressed out? The Federal Reserve Bank’s (Fed) annual stress test revealed that one out of 35 banks failed, while putting conditions on three other banks that passed the test. This was the second part of the Fed’s stress test and it focuses on how the bank’s plan for capital, such as dividend payouts and investments, would stand up against harsh scenarios. Financials have been in a tough spot recently, falling a record 13 consecutive days before bouncing yesterday. It is worth noting financials lost 6% during this losing streak, significantly less than it lost during other losing streaks. We continue to like the group and will explain why next Monday on the LPL Research blog.
- President Trump reportedly wants to withdraw U.S. from WTO. Sources out of Washington have reported that President Trump has told top advisors that he wants to withdraw the United States from the World Trade Organization (WTO). However, the move would require numerous legal hurdles, and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin walked the comments back saying, ” This is an exaggeration” in a recent interview. For our thoughts on navigating tensions surrounding trade, check out this week’s Weekly Market Commentary.
- Personal Income (May)
- Personal Spending (May)
- France: CPI (Jun)
- UK: GDP (Q1)
- Eurozone: CPI (Jun)
- Japan: Consumer Confidence (Jun)
- China: Mfg. & Non-Mfg. PMI (Jun)
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual security. To determine which investment(s) may be appropriate for you, consult your financial advisor prior to investing. The economic forecasts set forth in this material may not develop as predicted.
All indexes are unmanaged and cannot be invested into directly. Unmanaged index returns do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment.
Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. No investment strategy or risk management technique can guarantee return or eliminate risk in all market environments.
All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results.
This research material has been prepared by LPL Financial LLC.
To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor, please note that LPL Financial LLC is not an affiliate of and makes no representation with respect to such entity.
The investment products sold through LPL Financial are not insured deposits and are not FDIC/NCUA insured. These products are not Bank/Credit Union obligations and are not endorsed, recommended or guaranteed by any Bank/Credit Union or any government agency. The value of the investment may fluctuate, the return on the investment is not guaranteed, and loss of principal is possible.
For Public Use – Tracking # 1-745081 (Exp. 6/19)