Wednesday, February 10, 2021
US streak ends at 6 days
- US stocks opened higher after Consumer Price Index (CPI) data reveals inflationary pressures remain benign.
- European markets are mixed in midday trading.
- Asian stocks were strong overnight with the Hang Seng Index reclaiming the 30,000 mark for the first time since January 25, 2020.
Year of the Ox
- The Lunar New Year is this weekend and with it comes the year of the Ox.
- This is the third best Zodiac sign for the S&P 500 Index on average, as it gained more than 20% twice previously in 1997 and 2009.
- Although we don’t suggest investing based on Zodiac signs, we take a closer look at this later today in a fun LPL Research blog.
- Large cap indexes were little changed yesterday; however, the small cap Russell 2000 Index pushed 0.4% higher to close at a new record high.
- The Russell 2000 is now 41% above its 200-day moving average, the most ever, and has outperformed the S&P 500 by 42% since the March 2020 lows.
- The United States reported 93,000 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, down 19% week over week as the rate of decline has accelerated to about 24% per week (source: Johns Hopkins). https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
- The 7-day average of new cases has fallen by 57% from its peak.
- Cases in Spain have fallen since the post-holiday spike, improving the broader picture for Western Europe.
- The United Kingdom continues to report a decline in cases, with the 7-day average down 71% from the January 9 peak.
This material is for general information only and is not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. There is no assurance that the views or strategies discussed are suitable for all investors or will yield positive outcomes. Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. Any economic forecasts set forth may not develop as predicted and are subject to change.
References to markets, asset classes, and sectors are generally regarding the corresponding market index. Indexes are unmanaged statistical composites and cannot be invested into directly. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment and do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results.
Any company names noted herein are for educational purposes only and not an indication of trading intent or a solicitation of their products or services. LPL Financial doesn’t provide research on individual equities.
All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, LPL Financial makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
All index and market data are from FactSet and MarketWatch.
This Research material was prepared by LPL Financial, LLC.
Insurance products are offered through LPL or its licensed affiliates. To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor that is not an LPL affiliate, please note LPL makes no representation with respect to such entity.
- Not Insured by FDIC/NCUA or Any Other Government Agency
- Not Bank/Credit Union Guaranteed
- Not Bank/Credit Union Deposits or Obligations
- May Lose Value
For Public Use – Tracking # 1-05110061