Friday, February 26, 2021
Three charts to see
Today we share three charts that have our attention on the LPL Research blog.
- As this bull nears one year old, it is one of the strongest starts to a new bull market ever. Historically, other strong starts began to slow some around this time.
- A good start to a year can continue, as we discuss The Valentine’s Day Indicator.
- March was a horrible month for stocks last year, but historically, this month has been quite strong.
US stocks open modestly higher following Thursday’s tech-led selloff.
- The rapid advance in Treasury yields continues to be the dominant theme of the week, putting pressure on the higher-valuation tech
- European are markets firmly lower in midday trading.
- Asian stocks were under pressure overnight with Japan down nearly 4%.
- The S&P 500 Index broke a two day winning streak by erasing all the cumulative gains seen over those days, and dropping 2.4%.
- Despite the index hitting its intraday high back on February 16, Thursday marked the first day of broad based selling pressure, as decliners on the NYSE outnumbered advancers by more than 7:1, the worst reading since late October 2020.
The United States reported 75,000 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, up 9% from the week prior and marking the fourth straight week to week increase (source: Johns Hopkins).
- States hit hardest by the winter storm continue to account for much of the increase in cases in recent days, including Texas and Oklahoma.
- Western Europe is now reporting rising cases with the exception of Spain.
LPL Research in the Media
LPL Research Equity Strategist Jeff Buchbinder was quoted in The Wall Street Journal discussing the S&P 500 Index. Sign in or subscribe to The Wall Street Journal to view the article.
Why Sustainable Investing is Sustainable
Chief Strategist Ryan Detrick, Equity Strategist Jeffrey Buchbinder, and guest speaker Jason Hoody, Head of Investment Manager Research discuss why sustainable investing is a major trend that isn’t going away & the potential positive impact of environmental, social, and governance factors on returns. We also explore the strong earnings season and recent retail sales during this week’s Market Signals.
This material is for general information only and is not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. There is no assurance that the views or strategies discussed are suitable for all investors or will yield positive outcomes. Investing involves risks including possible loss of principal. Any economic forecasts set forth may not develop as predicted and are subject to change.
References to markets, asset classes, and sectors are generally regarding the corresponding market index. Indexes are unmanaged statistical composites and cannot be invested into directly. Index performance is not indicative of the performance of any investment and do not reflect fees, expenses, or sales charges. All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results.
Any company names noted herein are for educational purposes only and not an indication of trading intent or a solicitation of their products or services. LPL Financial doesn’t provide research on individual equities.
All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, LPL Financial makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
All index and market data are from FactSet and MarketWatch.
This Research material was prepared by LPL Financial, LLC.
Securities and advisory services offered through LPL Financial (LPL), a registered investment advisor and broker-dealer (member FINRA/SIPC).
Insurance products are offered through LPL or its licensed affiliates. To the extent you are receiving investment advice from a separately registered independent investment advisor that is not an LPL affiliate, please note LPL makes no representation with respect to such entity.
- Not Insured by FDIC/NCUA or Any Other Government Agency
- Not Bank/Credit Union Guaranteed
- Not Bank/Credit Union Deposits or Obligations
- May Lose Value
For Public Use – Tracking # 1-05116055